Tidbits - November 12, 2020

  • Print


  We’re short of space this week, so I will not be writing about the election, football or our second move in five weeks.
  I have plenty of time to cover those, because the election “ain’t over til it’s over,” Saluda’s football season is over, as is Carolina’s even though the Gamecocks have four more games. Clemson has plenty more season, shooting for a rematch with Notre Dame in the ACC title game. I hope my moving is over for awhile!
  My latest  “story of my life” moment started when Amazon had an early Black Friday event in October. I decided to give myself an early Christmas present by buying a 32-inch TV for my bedroom for only $89.
  Like in my den, I have to TVs in my bedroom, one hooked to the satellite and one hooked to the antenna. The 24-inch TV is an Insignia, as was the one I was buying, so I could use the same remotes.
  I’ll save the 24-inch for when my 27-inch goes out. Yes, 27 inch, which fits perfectly in the TV cabinet, which I bought when 27-inch was the biggest TV you could buy.
  The best laid plans.....
  My TV was supposed to arrive in five days. Well, five days passed, then ten days, then 14. I began contacting the seller when the tracking number supplied did not exist, according to FedEx.
  I did not get scammed. I got a refund, with no explanation as to what happened.
  I still wanted the TV, and soon noticed Best Buy had one at the same price. I ordered and was told it would arrive in two days. Thursday, I was waiting for the delivery, but when I checked my email, I got a notice from Best Buy that my TV was ready for in store pick-up.
  In store pick-up? I didn’t designate in-store pick-up. Why would I do that? It didn’t matter. I had to drive to the traffic nightmare Lexington Best Buy to get my TV.
  I went out to get in my van, and then remembered I had forgotten the take the leftover boxes of circulars to the convenience center the day before, and since the center isn’t open on Thursday, I took the boxes out of the back of my van and put them in the my truck.
  I took off. About a mile down Mt. Willing Road, I noticed my van was running hot. I turned around and came home. I took the boxes out of the truck and put them back in the van. Then, I noticed the right front tire on the truck was slack. So, I drove to the shop, waited for the compressor to fill up, and pumped up the tire.
  I drove to Best Buy without incident, had my proper paperwork and photo ID at the pick-up window. The sales clerk, a young lady about five feet tall, came and got my information, then went to retrieve my TV.
  Remember when it took two people to move a TV, even a 27-inch one? I shook my head when I saw the tiny, little lady walk out of the room, holding the boxed TV in one hand!
  I didn’t need to clear out those durned boxes. I put the TV on the back seat.
  I knew I needed some antifreeze for the van, and since there’s a Dollar General on every corner, I stopped at the one at the Circle and killed twobirds with one stone.
  It would have been better if Best Buy had mailed the TV, though. But, of course, I wouldn’t have this story to share.

  I was deeply saddened at the passing of Geri Padget last week. Geri had battled pulmonary fibrosis for 16 years, and he finally succumbed to the illness that robs your breath.
  I have know Geri for well over 50 years. His brother Gene and I were classmates, so I got to know Gene’s four brothers, Jim. Joe, Rick and Geri. Geri was about 13-years younger than Jim, so he got to be the mascot for a number of classes.
  Geri was a heck of an athlete. When he was 12-years-old, he won the local Punt, Pass and Kick competition. He advance to the next level, and to the next and finally he ended up competing in Dallas, Texas, at halftime of a Cowboys game for the national title. He didn’t win, but that was in exciting time for Saluda folks.
  My nephew Trey Shealy also did well in Punt, Pass and Kick and made it all the way to Charlotte for a halftime regional competition at a Panthers game.
  We told Trey about what Geri did. Little did we know then Trey would grow up and marry Geri’s daughter Allie.
  When his condition began to worsen, Geri moved in with Allie and Trey last week. He had only been given a few months, but he only made it a few days.
  At his funeral, I learned of the many things Geri did for the church, its members and other people.
  I sang the song, “Thank You,” Sunday, and it has the lines, ”little things that you had done, sacrifices made, unnoticed on the earth, in Heaven now proclaimed.”
  The three ministers that spoke said that was Geri.
  The Padget family has been hard hit this year. Mrs. Edith Padget lost her oldest son Jim in July and now has lost her youngest, Geri. Sunday, Jim’s widow Jean died.
  How much can one family take? This community will pull them through.