Tidbits -July 23, 2020


  I’m sure many of us have found projects to do in the COVID times.
  Wayne Fulmer decided to look through some old papers he had that belonged to the late Frontis Hawkins.
  One 1912 receipt was poignant, as it detailed the cost of a casket ($100) for Frontis’ sister, who died seven years before he was born.
  The bill was from R.L. Ramey, the originator of Saluda’s current Ramey Funeral Home.
  Back then, along with undertaking, coffins and caskets, the business also sold furniture of all kinds and household items.
  What stood out to Wayne, however, was the phone number. Here it comes. The phone number was “1,’ believe it or not!
  I’m terrible at remembering phone numbers, but I can remember “1.” I guess in 1912, you got your phone number by first come, first serve. There was no CenturyLink back then.
  Another paper Wayne had was a loan application from 1894, before Saluda was a county.
  The loan was for $27, and in order to borrow that great amount of money, the collateral put up was: two “milch” cows (one brindle named Maud), (one spotted named Daisy), with calves, and one two horse wagon. It’s pretty important when you have to identify the cows by name!
  During the pandemic, while I have worked until 12 noon every weekday, I’ve had the afternoons to do other things. All I had to do was to think of what other things to do.
  The thought hit me one day, I needed to do something with my Saluda High State Championship football paperwork.
  Every year, I take the first football program I buy, home or away, and keep paperwork for the season in it. Inside the front cover is my printed individual stats from each game, and the accumulated totals. Inside the back cover is my newspaper write-up and the papers I used to keep stats for each game.
  At the end of the year, I stack this year’s program on top of last year’s.
  But this year is different. We won the state championship! I went on Amazon and ordered a bunch of plastic sleeves to put the pages in, and in Dollar General I found a big purple notebook.
  Last week, I began and completed my project. It took four of the sleeves for each game, putting pages front and back. I then included the final stats from 2000 to the present, write-ups of the final game from 2015-2018, because the final write-up contains the records broken, and the individual records of Noah Bell, Dallan Wright and Malik Brooks, because I don’t think their records will be broken any time soon.
 Now, all I need is a state championship decal to put on the front of the notebook. That done, I may go back and do the years the Tigers made it to the Upperstate championship game.
  It was fun to look back on each game. The season began with the miracle, last second win at Thurmond. That should have told us something. Few people saw that win, because the fourth quarter was carried over to Saturday morning from the night before. The season ended with the massive crowd at Benedict Stadium in Columbia.
  Another fact some forget is when the Tigers lost their final two games of the regular season, they dropped out of the final top ten. That means unranked Saluda had to beat No.. 3 Southside Christian, No. 1 Abbeville and No. 2 Barnwell, who had lost one game between them, to win the state title. Yeah, it was quite an accomplishment!

  It’s been  another sad week.
  Two women I’ve known since they  were children, Hazel Trotter Halford and Betty Jo Werts, lost battles with cancer.
  Hazel lived out of town and I did not know she was sick,  but I know Betty Jo bravely battled cancer for so many years.
  Ellis Temples lived to be 102-years-old. I’ve shared a story he told me many times.
  He said there were only two members of his graduating class at Sardis, and as it turned out his fellow graduate lived next door to him.
 “So, if we wanted to have a class reunion,  we’d just meet at the fence!”
  Mrs. Geneva Horne Hancock was as good as it gets. She was just a kind, sweet lady, who was a joy be around.