Last Second Win

FIRST SCORE OF THE YEAR - Saluda’s Dallan Wright dives for the end zone to score Saluda’s first touchdown of the season Fri., Aug. 23, at Strom Thurmond. The game began Friday, and was finished on Saturday, with the Tigers taking a thrilling 22-21 win over the Rebels. (Photo by Trey Fingerlin)

Tigers Claim Miracle Win

    You can’t turn the ball over seven times and expect to take a two-part victory over the 5th ranked 3-A team in S.C., but the Saluda Fighting Tigers found a way to do just that.
  Noah Bell’s 33-yard touchdown pass to Dallan Wright as time expired, followed by his completion to Jervon Whitt for the two-point play gave the Tigers a miraculous 22-21 win over arch rival Strom Thurmond at the Rebel Field.
  The game began Fri., Aug. 22. Three quarters were completed before lightning in the area forced the stands to be cleared. Later, after heavy rain and more lightning, the fourth quarter was rescheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday.
  Friday, the Tigers led 8-6 at halftime, but Saluda blew several scoring opportunities early in the game.
  Wright returned the opening kick-off 55-yards to the Rebel 20. The Tigers could gain only four yards before running out of downs.
  Thurmond was unable to move after taking over possession at the 16. On fourth down the snap was low and the punter ran to the 20 where he was tackled.
  Saluda took over and once again the offense was ineffective. On fourth down Adrian Vasquez missed a 37-yard field goal.
  A 22-yard punt at the end of the Rebels’ next possession gave Saluda the ball at the Thurmond 46. Two runs by Bell and an 11-yard pass to Wright gave the Tigers the ball at the Rebel seven. On first and goal, Bell pitched to Wright, who turn the corner for the touchdown. The Tigers ran the old bucket play on the conversion and Montrevious Baker ran it in to give Saluda an 8-0 lead with 4:43 to go in the first quarter.
  As time was running out, Thurmond’s Allan Williams wrestled the ball away from Saluda receiver Jabari Baker and returned the interception to the Saluda 44. A 30-yard run by Stanley Hill set up the Rebels first score with just 40.7 second remaining in the first half. The try for the tying two failed and Saluda claimed the halftime lead.
  The offensive ugliness continued into the third quarter. Williams, who intercepted three of Bell’s passes, returned one 35-yards for the Rebels’ second score of the night with 5:57 to go in the period. Hill ran the two point conversion to give the Rebels  a 14-8 lead.
  Just as the fourth quarter was about to begin,  lightning cleared the stands, and the game was eventually rescheduled
  Through three quarters, the Tiger offense turned the ball over five times. The bleeding continued when the game resumed Saturday morning.
  The Tigers opened the quarter with a 19-yard run by Bell to the 50-yard line. Montrevious Baker followed with a seven yard gain, but on the next play Jabari Baker fumbled while tying to add yardage and Thurmond recovered at the 40 yard line.
  The Rebels were unable to take advantage of the turnover, but their 28-yard punt was fumbled on the return by Wright and Thurmond recovered at the Saluda 14-yard-line. A 10-yard run by Charquez Booker set up Devron Williams one-yard score. Hunter Bledsoe’s kick with 8:10 to go in the game gave the Rebels a 21-8.
  Wright and Jabari Baker soon made up for their earlier miscues. Wright returned the kick-off 35-yards to the Rebel 40, and a 15-yard penalty against the Rebels gave Saluda the ball at the 25. On first down Bell threw 24-yards to Baker who hauled it in at the one-yard line. Bell scored on the next play. Vasquez’ kick was blocked and the Tigers cut the score to 21-14 with 7:55 to go.
  The two teams exchanged possessions, before Saluda got the ball 73-yards away from the goal with just over a minute to play in the game.
  Bell’s first three passes were incomplete, and on fourth down, with seconds to go Bell connected with Wright for a 44-yard gain to the Rebel 28.
  There were 1.2 seconds left on the clock. The Tigers snapped the ball quickly so Bell could spike the ball to stop clock, but were flagged for a procedure penalty.
 After the yardage was walked off to the 33, the Tigers once again had 1.2 second to go. Bell took the snap and found Wright in the corner of the end zone for the score.
  The Tigers wanted the win and elected to go for two. Bell found a leaping Whitt for the two point conversion giving the Tigers one of their most exciting wins in school history.
  Bell, who was eight for 20 for 50 yards and four interceptions on the first three quarters, was 7-12 for 136 yards in the fourth quarter. He also led the team in rushing with 56 yards on 15 carries. Wright caught seven passes for 114 yards and two scores.
  While the Tiger offense has been the talk of the preseason, it was the defense that played an outstanding game. All three of Thur-mond’s scores were the result of Saluda turnovers, and their longest scoring drive was 44-yards.
  The defense held the Rebels to seven first downs and 177 total yards.
  The Tigers will have their home opener Friday against old rival Ridge Spring-Monetta. The Trojans fell 21-0 to B&L in a storm shortened game last Friday.
  Kick-off is at 7:30 p.m.

Saluda High School Sports


  Saluda High School Girls Varsity Volleyball beat Pelion High School 3-1
  The Lady Tigers played with lots of energy with all of the players contributing to bring home the win. Of note, Caroline Warren demonstrated consistent serving while Kaylee Long provided a strong block on defence. Jessa Ordile consistently provided setters Schyler Dickenson and Nat Herron with passes that enabled offensive scores by Kalisha Hill, Madison Crouch, Caroline Warren and Schyler Dickenson.