Tidbits - July 11 2019



  I’d really gotten attached to my orange kitten I had gotten from Saluda Hardware, along with its mostly black sibling.
  At first, the kitten would not let me get anywhere near him. A few days later, it would run toward me, then turn suddenly to the right or left.
  Finally, he gave in and let me pet him and even pick him up.
  One day, as walked out of the house, I suddenly spotted the kitten sitting in my flower pot, over four feet off the ground.
  How did he get there?
  I later found out, when I noticed my nearby Wandering Jew plant could no longer wander, because all the branches had been severed, probably by a jumping kitten.
 I picked up all the remnants, and stuffed them in the top of the pot. They will be wandering again soon.
  One day, I fed the kitten, but the next day, he was nowhere in site.
  That was no big deal. There are plenty of places for kittens to play and hide around the house. He’d show up.
  But he didn’t. The third day, I had chalked the kitten up as deceased. That happens a lot.
  Jackie gave me two grey tabby kittens soon after I got the ones from the hardware store. One of them disappeared the second or third day and has not been seen since.
 Like the tabby, I figured I’d find the dead kitten, but I never did.
  Friday, Becky Clamp posted of picture of an orange cat on Facebook, saying, “Anyone missing a cat. The dogs don’t like it.”
  I quickly commented I was missing an orange kitten.
  Since Becky’s post came from Emory Church (she waters the plants in the prayer garden), I got in my truck and drove that way.
  I had to see the kitten to see if it was mine, because all orange cats look alike.
  I soon heard from Becky that the kitten was at her son Justin’s house.
  I drove to Justin’s house and he and his two sons were in the yard. Justin led me to the kitten under carport. It was mine!
  Justin’s house is less than a half a mile from mine, and at first I thought the kitten walked through the woods to his house, but I then I thought about the fact my kittens never go near the highway.
  The only possible solution is the kitten rode underneath my vehicle while I was on the way to church. Pine Grove Road is so rough at Jason’s house you could churn butter, and I bet the kitten fell out, and, luckily was not injured.
  Years ago my cousin Gina Fingerlin was missing a kitten and put up signs all over town, because her children loved the kitten so much.
  Turns out the kitten suddenly appeared at Jimmy Rowe’s house, about two miles form Gina’s. Like my kitten, it had taken a wild ride.
  My orange kitten was happy to be home, reunited with his play partners.
  Since it was going to rain all Saturday afternoon (Haha), it took my walk in the coolness of the morning.
  Around 4 p.m., I walked back down to the pond, and saw an owl fly out from one of the pine trees.
  That was neat. I don’t get to see too many owls in flight.
  Then out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a mostly white cat drinking water out of the pond.
  I didn’t recognize it, but it seemed almost tame, so I took a picture of it, and tried to talk to it. It wouldn’t come to me.
  Later, I got a text from Trey Fingerlin asking me if I had seen a white cat. Their cat had run away during all the fireworks shooting in the neighborhood.
  I posted the picture I had take earlier, and said, “Is this it?”
  He quickly answered, “Yes!” and said he was sending his daughters Reagan and Leanna to come look for it.
  When they arrived, I signaled them to the side of the dam where I had seen the cat. Ironically, my former missing orange kitten  and his sibling joined us in the search.
  Reagan asked what I had named the kittens, and I told her I don’t name my cats.
  She said I should name them Milo and Otis, after the animals in a movie she saw as a kid. Milo was an orange cat, and Otis was a pug, but the names will do.
  A few months ago, someone suggested I name my older black kitten “Salem,” after the black cat in “Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.”
  Why not? I have never seen “Milo and Otis,” nor “Sabrina.”
  I’ll probably just keep saying, “Get out of the way,” however.
  Reagan and Leanna found their cat on the other side of the pond near Gordon Bowdler’s old dog pen.
  Oh, the Fingerlin cat does have a name, “Conway.”
  Reagan, Leanna and their brother Ryan go with the St. Paul UMYF to the Salkehatchie camp at Conway every year.
  Three years ago, they were working on a house and discovered a kitten that the mother had rejected. They bottle fed the kitten and brought him home to Saluda. Needless to say, the cat is special to the entire family.
  So, that was quite a cat week.


  I was so happy America’s  women won the World Cup Sunday.
  I love the team for bringing honor to our country, but I do not like their classless arrogance.
  I don’t believe in “rubbing it in,” but some members of the team are so high on themselves they like to display how perfect they are.
  The play of the team was spectacular, but the lack of sportsmanship of some members is one of the reasons the whole world hates our country.
  That being said, I do support the soccer women getting  pay equal to or more than the men. They deserve it!


  I was so saddened at the passing of Wilbur Scurry last week.
  Like many, he was our home and business heating and cooling man for many years.
  One thing everyone universally agreed about Wilbur is he took care of his customers.
  If your heating or air went out, he was soon on the scene, even it if was pitch black dark. How many hours did he put in each week?
  Along with is work ethic, Wilbur had a sly sense or humor. You always had a good laugh when he was around.
  Wilbur’s health began to fade when he was in his 50s, and he was only 61 when he died.
  All who knew him appreciate his devotion, and  we will greatly miss him.


  Earl Forrest was a Saluda institution.
  He spent many of his 90 years inside the 97-year-old C.B. Forrest and Son store, founded by his father Cally.
  I think I was introduced to the word “Cuddin”  because of Cally. He was my grandmother Eugenia Shealy’s first cousin on the Grigsby side of the family, and was always “Cuddin Cally.”
  Now his brother Greg was not “Cuddin Greg,”  because he was married to my grandfather Rufus Shealy’s sister Lula, so he was Uncle Greg. I had a confusing childhood, relativewise.
  How many experiences have all of us had in C.B. Forrest and Son? How many suits, shirts, shoes and Christmas presents have I bought in their store.
  When I worked for the Keelers, they would give me a sport coat and tie from the store every Christmas and birthday. Marty and Joann and Earl and Brad Forrest are why I am still known for my colorful outfits today.
  When you went in the store, you were always met with a smile.
  Earl Forrest loved the store and the people of Saluda County. Even though he could barely get around, he came to the store every day up until a few months ago. I know that for a fact, because his store is across the street from my office, and I saw him come to work.
  He was also nationally known as a cattle farmer. He sold cows to some famous people, too, including Randy Owens of “Alabama.”
  Yes, Saluda will have a big hole to fill with the passing of Earl Forrest.
  He will be greatly missed.