Ridge Tour of Homes

Ridge Christmas Tour of Homes Sunday

  The Christmas Tour of Homes in Ridge Spring and Ward will be held  Sun., Dec. 10, from 2-5 p.m.
  Cost is $10,and tickets can be purchased at each location on the tour. The event is sponsored by the Green Thumb Garden Club with assistance from the Ridge Spring Garden Club.
  Following are the destinations on the tour:

210 DuBose Street
Ridge Spring, SC

  This attractive home was built about 36 years ago by Ronald and Mary Lee Horne. They were good friends of Helen and Wendell Sample and decided it would be nice to live across the street from them. The lot they were interested in was vacant since the former home had burned. Mary Lee spent many hours planning the lay-out of the home. It is interesting to note that she planned an insulated wall down the center of the house dividing the front from the back for heating and cooling purposes. The front section contains two guest bedrooms and a bath and the large formal area for entertaining which is composed of an adjoining living and dining area.
  The back half of the house contains a master bedroom and bath and an open plan for everyday living with a den, kitchen, breakfast area and sun room. From the breakfast area an enclosed stairway leads up to a wonderful floored storage space which runs the length of the house.
  Willie and Daisy Rutland purchased the house in 1986. They paved the circular drive around the house and added siding. Her husband enjoyed working outside and kept the yard immaculate. Mrs. Rutland has enjoyed entertaining the clubs and family in her home through the years.
  Recently, knock-out rose bushes and solar lights have been added across the front of her home. At Christmas time Mrs. Rutland enjoys displaying her beautiful collection of nativity scenes. Her collection includes around 25 which can be seen throughout the house.

403 East Main Street
Ridge Spring, SC

  This six-room house was built about 1920 by William (Bill) Sawyer and his wife, Ruby Gantt Sawyer. Mr. Sawyer cut the timber from property he owned in the lower part of the state to be used in the construction of the home. Large windows were installed, four fireplaces, and French doors between the living room and dining room. The ceilings were 10 feet high and picture molding was added to the walls. The carpenter who constructed the house was Mr. Tiller.
  The rooms were large with living room, dining room, and kitchen on one side of the house and three bedrooms on the other side. There was no bathroom in the early house. A privy was built in the back near the railroad tracks. A storage building was built behind the house.
  Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer had two children, Mable and William Jr. (Billy). Mr. Sawyer died of cancer when Billy was eight years old. After the death of he husband, since she was a good cook, Mrs. Sawyer decided to serve meals to several patrolmen. She did this for a number of years and then secured a job as hostess of the Commercial Hotel in Aiken, S.C. About this time Strom Thurmond married Jean Crouch (1948). He realized he needed a hostess for the Governor’s Mansion, so he asked Mrs. Sawyer to fill this position. She served as hostess for six years until he decided to run for President of the United States.
  When Mrs. Sawyer (Ruby) moved to Columbia, she rented her home to Dr. Jimmy Holford for several years and then to George and Virginia Strother (1951-1952). The home was then sold to Johnny and Mildred Cumbee, who in turn sold it to L.H. and Virginia Fallaw. Since L.H.’s work was in Columbia, he decided to sell it back to Johnny Cumbee.
  The next renters were Coach Evans Martin and Lona Cumbee. After the death of her husband, Mildred Cumbee moved into the home. She added vinyl siding and another bathroom.
  In 2004 Jim and Rosalyn Pressley purchased the home and moved here from Winnsboro, S.C. They enjoyed getting the house “spruced up” and with her flair for color, they succeeded in turning the older home into a lovely liveable space. One of the outstanding features of the home is the flooring in the living room, dining room, and front bedroom. The unusually narrow heart pine boards are unique and beautiful. The couple added a screened-in porch and a deck to the back of the house.
  Jim passed away several years ago. Rosalyn stays busy keeping her grandchildren and helping the Methodist ladies with projects. She is very active in her church.

105 Ward Avenue
Ward. S.C.

  This Victorian style house was built by Mr. J.P. Buzhardt, the owner of a large lumber business in the area. He spared no details in the house design, as evidenced buy the unusual double-gabled roof and the hand-cut gingerbread trim (created by a Mr. Edwards of Saluda).
  The house was completed sometime prior to February 23, 1906, at which time the house and three and one half acres of land were purchased by Mr. Piece Butler Watson for $5,200. Mr. Buzhardt repurchased the house and three acres for $10,000 in 1910.
  In the mid 1920’s Mr. Roland Eidson bought the house from an unknown party and it remained the family of Roland and Marion Eidson until their deaths. The couple reared two daughters, Ann and Jean, in the house. Mr. Eidson founded the Bank of Ward.
  Halleck, Tanya, and Joshua Andrei Butts were the next owners of the house. In 2015 Vickie Baker, Theresa Harmon, and Robin Roberts purchased the house and opened the Gables Inn & Gardens. They are the second owners outside of the Eidson Family. Presently, the Inn offers four suites with private baths. They removed the closets in the bedrooms to make room for the baths.
  Unique features of the house include transom windows over the interior doors and an extensive wrap-around porch. The front corner of the porch has an impressive rounded addition reaching a height of thirty feet. From the porch guests can view the park across the street named in honor of Mrs. Nana Eidson, the sister of Mrs. Roland. The piano is original to the house as is the lovely wrought iron fence across the front.

108 Church Circle
Ridge Spring, S.C.

  On January 28, 1856,  nineteen members withdrew from Bethel Church in Monetta to form a new church on the Ridge. There were 19 white charter members and their slaves (probably 70). Ten acres were given on which to build the church. The land included a spring of pure water for which the town was named.
  This year the church will use red and green decorations. The carillon bells will play Christmas songs during the tour.

206 Boatwright Street
Ridge Spring, S.C.

  This church was completed in 1923 and the final service was held in 1986. It is graced with beautiful stained glass windows, two Sunday School rooms which have never been painted, and 13 pine benches. The church has never had indoor plumbing. It was deeded to the Green Thumb Garden Club in 1886 along with the two acre lot on which it stands.

150 Church Street
Ward, S.C.

  This church was founded about one mile north of its present location soon after John Spann come to the Ridge in 1794. The congregation moved to the present site in 1840. In 1873 the present sanctuary was built as a simple foursquare structure with a neoclassical portico. The tapered columns and curved windows show a Victorian influence on this Greek Revival building which has survived almost unchanged for 144 years.

125 Ward Avenue
Ward, S.C.

  Ward Baptist Church established in 1888 still stands as a church today. Stained glass windows were installed in 1970 and the sanctuary remodeled with new pews and carpet in the early 1980’s. The original pulpit furniture and pool beneath the pulpit are a part of the worship today. Some original pews are in the sanctuary wing. A kitchen building was added in 1976 followed by a fellowship hall in 1984.

Cake and Hot Mulled Cider
Served at Ward Baptist Church